Sunburst canopies, for me are the only way to dress the canopy of a four-poster bed. I remember lying on my parents bed when I was small marveling at the cream silk sunburst and being very disappointed when it was replaced with a flat piece of material when the bed was redone.
As part of my KLC coursework I designed a bed treatment for their bed (with a sunburst canopy obviously) and was thrilled when Mum wanted me to implement it, just a little concerned about how I would get the sunburst to work…
The existing bed canopy is in two pieces, so we had to make the sunburst in two halves. This is one of the prepared halves, luckily Mum managed to remove the old peach silk without damaging the old padding. The semi circle cut out at the top is where the fabric is pulled in to create the folds.
We bought one and a half times the fabric needed to cover the board and laid the board in the middle of the fabric, then stapled each corner of the fabric to the board at equal distances from the edge (roughly 5cm).
Staying on the left side, I measured to the middle of the first section and stapled the middle of the fabric to the board and carried on all the way around the top and right hand side, stapling the middle of the fabric to the middle of the staples either side until all of the fabric was secured, the fabric folding naturally as it ran out. I left the bottom edge unsecured.
Finally, we smoothed and fixed the bottom edge trying to keep it as straight as possible and after lots of staples and fiddling, ta da! The first half was done. I think this could look good as a headboard in the right room.
We then did it all over again, trimmed off the excess fabric and used it to cover the button for the middle. Two strong men later and the canopy was up.
It took quite a bit of fiddling and I’m sure it isn’t the way an upholsterer would do it, but it worked and was great fun to do.
It’s exciting seeing the room scheme coming together, I can’t wait to share the rest of it with you when it’s finished :)