Following on from my last post, Mr S & I moved into our newly renovated home the day after our honeymoon and lived in bliss, in a dust free zone for three months.
Then, just before Christmas, as the building nightmares became a distant memory, the heating system started losing pressure.
We couldn’t find a leak; we checked every radiator and studied the walls for damp patches every day. It was only when the kitchen floor started to warp that we realised it was probably under our brand new Walnut floor.
I called the insurance and they sent around a leak detection guy and his divining rods, I kid you not! I wish I had a video of him working to share with you, but it was like being transported back in time, the divining rods seemed to have a life of their own.
He pinpointed the exact location of the leak, right in front of the kitchen and uncovered this.
Can you believe that the builders thought it acceptable to join the old system to the new using scraps of copper pipe, spot welded together and wrapped in a plastic bag. I can just imagine them all standing around looking at it and saying ‘yeah that plastic bag will stop it leaking…’ It’s frustrating to think that we could’ve avoided the heartache and damage if one of them had just popped out to get a new bit of piping.
So the rest of the floor had to come up and the concrete dried, then finally a new Oak floor laid (we decided against Walnut as the last one had scratched and dented too easily).
Now, after a second flood during our trip to New York I’m beginning to think the floor is jinxed! The builders were in again last week to remove the mouldy floor.
We heard the rubbish was going to the local pub for their bonfire, so we went and watched. It was quite cathartic to see it burn, feels like we are finally on track to a finished house after two months of organising the insurance company and suppliers.
Off to search the internet for someone who can ‘bless’ the new floor before it is laid ;)